illustrated by Alicia Hough
- Juvenile Fiction/Adoption
- softcover - ages 5+
- ISBN 978-0-9738166-0-0
What is Adoption? provides a perfect invitation to discussing adoption with children, both non-adopted and adopted. This is the story of two friends, Alex and Violet. Alex shares with Violet that he was adopted, and so begins Violetís journey of trying to understand what adoption is. This book addresses questions children have about adoption in a sensitive and easy to understand manner. In addition to being educational, the book is also fun and entertaining, capturing the interest of children. A helpful section for adults is also provided.
The purpose of this book is to help family, friends, educators and people in the community who have not personally experienced adoption, but have been touched by it, talk positively with the children in their lives about adoption.
Concepts covered in the book include:
- Positive use of adoption language
- Families are formed in different ways
- Children are adopted in many different ways
- Possible reasons for adoption
- Privacy versus secrecy of adoption details
- Adoption does not define who you are as a person
- Adoption is forever